Although located in Tallahassee, FL, Florida State University offers online degree programs that are available in states across the country including Oklahoma. FSU’s online Master of Social Work program offers a supportive, community-focused program that prepares graduates to excel in the diverse field of social work. Whether you have a baccalaureate in social work or are coming into the field with a degree in another concentration, FSU offers a distinct curriculum aimed at providing students with an engaging learning environment.
FSU’s online MSW program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and prepares graduates to seek licensure and employment in the state of Oklahoma. Those wishing to become a LCSW in Oklahoma must meet the following requirements:
- Have a master’s degree in social work from a Board approved and CSWE accredited social work program
- Following graduation, complete two years of full-time, or the equivalent part-time, post degree experience in the practice of clinical social work under the professional supervision of a LCSW. This includes a total of 4,000 hours with 3,000 hours of direct client contact and at least 100 hours of face-to-face educational supervision.
- Pass the Association of Social Work Board’s (ASWB) Examination: Basic, Intermediate, Advanced, or Clinical.
Once requirements are met, applicants must submit the following to the Oklahoma Board of Licensed Social Workers at least 3 weeks prior to the next board meeting:
- Completed application forms
- Appropriate fee
- Official transcript showing master’s degree sent directly from the school
- Evaluation forms of supervised clinical experience
- Fingerprint and background check from the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation
- Verification of ASWB examination scores sent directly from ASWB
Requirements for licensure may change so be sure to frequently check Oklahoma’s state requirements to ensure you are the correct path to licensure.
Oklahoma Social Work Licensure Transfer
Oklahoma offers the transfer of licensures gained in different states. This is great news if you gain licensure in another jurisdiction but plan on relocating to Oklahoma in the future. Application procedures and supporting documents for licensure transfer are similar to those mentioned above. The primary difference is the applicant’s need to request verification of licensure to be mailed to the Board office from his/her current jurisdiction of licensure and to request an ASWB Examination score transfer if applicable.
Once again, be sure to check with the state requirements to ensure you are following the most up to date licensing requirements.
How Does an online MSW degree from FSU Make a Difference?
Florida State University’s online Master of Social Work program allows busy professionals to balance their professional life with their educational goals. It gives students options regardless of their undergraduate background. An Advanced Standing program is available for students who have completed a bachelor’s of social work from a CSWE-accredited program. A Traditional program is available for students who have a bachelor’s degree in a concentration other than social work. Both programs are clinically focused and offer field placements.
Florida State University’s College of Social Work is well-respected and nationally recognized. U.S. News & World Report ranked FSU in the Top 40 “Best Graduate Schools” while FSU’s online MSW program ranked as the top MSW program in Florida. TheBestSchools.org ranked FSU’s program in their Top 5 for online MSW programs. Kiplinger’s Personal Finance ranked Florida State University as one of the “Best Values in Public Colleges.”
Learn more about the difference an MSW from Florida State University can make here.
For further reading, check out this blog post: Q&A about the Online Master of Social Work with Craig Stanley, PhD, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs