Florida State University
Request More MSW Information
Request More MSW Information
Complete the form and get instant access to your comprehensive program guide that includes:
- Admission Requirements
- Tuition & Financial Aid
- Curriculum Details…and more!
An advisor will connect with you shortly to discuss next steps.
One of our friendly admission counselors will contact you soon to address all your questions about the Online MSW program. In the meantime, you will gain immediate access to the Online MSW program guide.
- Part-time to balance your busy life
- Online MSW program accredited by CSWE
- Clinically-focused curriculum
Advance Your Career with Florida State
While your experience as an online student will differ from working toward a degree in a traditional on-campus format, you are not starting this journey alone— you are joining a vibrant and supportive community.
Here are some career resources that you will have access to as an FSU student:
- The Career Center — consistently ranked top in the nation, FSU is a great place to get support as you advance your network and career. The Career Center offers online library resources, career guides, and match major blueprints that connect your field of study to specific occupations.
- Big Interview — build your interview confidence to help you land your dream job! Big Interview is an online preparation platform that gives you instant access to mock interviews, a database of interview questions and tips, as well as a comprehensive video training curriculum.
- ProfessioNole Mentors — as an FSU Online student, you will join our growing and global community of more than 391,000 students. This virtual mentoring platform connects you with 1:1 with an FSU mentor who aligns with your career interests and academic experiences.
Join Our Growing & Global Network
Social workers make a meaningful impact on individuals and communities. Our online Master of Social Work (MSW) creates career-ready graduates through virtual classroom learning and field experiences. Past FSU graduates have pursued careers in the following:
- Private practice
- Child welfare
- Public health
- Palliative/hospice care
- Substance use and misuse
- Educational/academic research
- Veteran/military-focused social work
- Primary, secondary, and higher educational institutions.
In the video, FSU alumni Michelle O’Neill shares more about her online program experience.
Social Work Licensure: Prepare for More Opportunities
Our clinically-focused curriculum gives you even more career opportunities. During the program, you will gain experience in the field. Upon graduation, you can pursue licensure in social work. Licensed clinical social workers (LCSW) can assess, diagnose, and counsel clients. They often work with individual patients, groups, or are members of organizations providing social work services and support.
Every state in the United States has social work licensing, but the requirements vary. If you reside outside of Florida, check basic licensure requirements here and please contact your state board of licensing and determine the specific requirements.
Social Work Licensure in Florida
To be certified as a licensed clinical social worker in the state of Florida, you must complete:
- A Masters of Social Work degree
- 24 semester hours or 32 quarter hours in theory of human behavior and practice methods as courses in clinically oriented services
- This includes a minimum of one course in psychopathology taken in a school of social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
- A supervised field placement that was part of the applicant’s advanced concentration in direct practice during which the applicant provided clinical service directly to clients
- Two years of post-master’s supervised experience under the supervision of a licensed clinical social worker who is a qualified supervisor
- The supervision experience must have consisted of at least 1,500 hours providing psychotherapy face-to-face with clients for the profession for which licensure is sought and shall be accrued in no less than 100 weeks. At least 100 hours of supervision per 1,500 hours of psychotherapy face-to-face with clients provided by the intern; at least one hour of supervision every two weeks; at least one hour of supervision per 15 hours of psychotherapy, with a minimum of one hour of supervision every two weeks. If the applicant obtained group supervision, each hour of group supervision must alternate with an hour of individual supervision. Individual supervision is defined as one supervisor supervising no more than two interns, and group supervision is defined as one supervisor supervising more than two but a maximum of six interns in the group.
- The national clinical-level examination developed by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB)
- The following classes:
- An eight-hour laws and rules course
- A two-hour prevention of medical errors course
- A three-hour HIV/AIDS course
- A two-hour domestic violence course from an approved provider
Licensure by Endorsement for Clinical Social Workers
Moving to Florida from another state?
If you hold a license and have been actively practicing in another state for three of the last five years, you can apply for licensure.
- Meet the requirements set by Florida and pass the national examination for licensure in Florida or pass with Board approval.
- Complete an eight-hour laws and rules course.
- Complete a two-hour prevention of medical errors course from an approved provider.
The Florida Board has a Facts and Questions page available.
Our devoted faculty and commitment to research help put us in the top 15% of social work graduate schools ranked by U.S. News & World Report.
Join the vibrant FSU community consistently recognized by INSIGHT Into Diversity for its commitment to diversity and inclusion.
As one of the first online MSW accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, we rigorously adhere to CSWE accreditation standards.