Montana State LCSW Requirements
Although located in Tallahassee, FL, Florida State University offers online degree programs that are available in states across the country including Montana. FSU’s online Master of Social Work program offers a supportive, community-focused program that prepares graduates to excel in the diverse field of social work. Whether you have a baccalaureate in social work or are coming into the field with a degree in another concentration, FSU offers a distinct curriculum aimed at providing students with an engaging learning environment.
FSU’s online MSW program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and prepares graduates to seek licensure and employment in the state of Montana. Those wishing to become a LCSW in Montana must meet the following requirements:
- Have a master’s or doctoral degree in social work from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
- Following graduation, complete 3,000 hours of supervised psychotherapy or clinical social work in no less than 24 months, including at least 1,500 hours of direct client contact and 100 hours of individual and/or group supervision with at least 50 of these hours being under direct supervision of an LCSW.
- Pass the Association of Social Work Board’s (ASWB) Examinations, Advanced and Clinical.
Once requirements are met, applicants must submit the following to the Oklahoma State Board of Licensed Social Workers:
- Completed and signed application
- Appropriate fee
- Supervisory Experience Forms completed by the applicant and supervisor
- Official transcript showing master’s or doctoral degree sent directly from the school
- Three current reference letters, addressed directly to the board, from licensed social workers, licensed psychologists, or licensed psychiatrists
- Fingerprint and background check from the Department of Justice, Montana Criminal Records
- Verification of ASWB examination scores sent directly from ASWB
Requirements for licensure may change so be sure to frequently check Montana’s state requirements to ensure you are the correct path to licensure.
Social Work Endorsement in Montana
Montana offers endorsement of licensures gained in different states. This is great news if you gain licensure in another jurisdiction but plan on relocating to Montana in the future. Application procedures and supporting documents for licensure by endorsement are similar those mentioned above. The primary difference is the applicant’s need to submit proof of continuous practice as a social worker in another jurisdiction for the two years immediately preceding the date of application to Montana.
Once again, be sure to check with the state requirements to ensure you are following the most up to date licensing requirements.
How Does an online MSW degree from FSU Make a Difference?
Florida State University’s online Master of Social Work program allows busy professionals to balance their professional life with their educational goals. It gives students options regardless of their undergraduate background. An Advanced Standing program is available for students who have completed a bachelor’s of social work from a CSWE-accredited program. A Traditional program is available for students who have a bachelor’s degree in a concentration other than social work. Both programs are clinically focused and offer field placements.
Florida State University’s College of Social Work is well-respected and nationally recognized. U.S. News & World Report ranked FSU in the Top 40 “Best Graduate Schools” while FSU’s online MSW program ranked as the top MSW program in Florida. TheBestSchools.org ranked FSU’s program in their Top 5 for online MSW programs. Kiplinger’s Personal Finance ranked Florida State University as one of the “Best Values in Public Colleges.”
Learn more about the difference an MSW from Florida State University can make at here.