Florida State University is located in Tallahassee, Florida, but its online degree programs are available in states across the country including Oklahoma. Florida State University master’s online program offers a clinically focused online Master of Social Work degree. The program was ranked one of the best in the nation by U.S. News and World Report.
Earn an MSW that prepares you for the future licensure and MSW jobs in Oklahoma. Whether you have a baccalaureate in social work or are coming to the field with a degree in another concentration, FSU’s online program has a distinct curriculum focused on creating an engaging and supportive learning environment.
About Our Online MSW Program
- You can take and complete courses as your schedule allows
- You’ll be joining an interactive virtual learning community through Blackboard, and gaining support from a Student Success Advisor throughout the entire program
- You will interact with the College of Social Work’s Office of Professional Development
- Gain in the field experience with innovative field placements
Two Programs Available
The online Master of Social Work offers two programs for students:
- An Advanced Standing program is available for students who have completed a bachelor’s of social work from a Council on Social Work Education-accredited program.
- A Traditional program is available for students who have a bachelor’s degree in a separate concentration from social work. Both programs are clinically focused and offer field placements that may align with students’ interests.
Courses are 16 weeks; summer may have 12- or 13-week courses, depending on the year. The average time to completion is two years for Advanced Standing Program and three years for Traditional Program.
Our Online MSW Admissions Requirements
Traditional program students must meet these requirements for admission:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and be in good standing with the institution
- A College of Social Work application, along with a personal statement and four letters of recommendation (two personal, two academic)
- A transcript with all undergraduate and graduate courses, including a professional resume
- A 3.0 GPA or better on everything past the first 60 hours of undergraduate courses (this is an upper-division GPA) or a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
Advanced Standing program students must meet these requirements for admission:
- Complete all general application requirements
- Earn a BSW from a CSWE-accredited institution
- Submit a copy of a BSW internship evaluation or letter of recommendation from the field office
- Have a minimum of 400 hours of field education in generalist practice
The Florida State University Office of Admissions will receive GRE scores from the Educational Testing Service; FSU’s code is 5219.
If the applicant is earning his or her bachelor’s degree and applying for graduate school, he or she must send a second official transcript with the degree posted.
For full admission details, visit this page.
How to Become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in Oklahoma
Those wishing to become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in Oklahoma must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a master’s degree in social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
- Complete two years of full-time, or the equivalent part-time, post-degree experience in the practice of clinical social work under the professional supervision of an LCSW.
- This includes a total of 4,000 hours with 3,000 hours of direct client contact and at least 100 hours of face-to-face educational supervision.
- Apply for LCSW licensure through the Oklahoma State Board of Licensed Social Workers.
- Pass the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Clinical exam.
Requirements for licensure may change so be sure to frequently check Oklahoma state requirements to ensure you are the correct path to licensure.
Social Work Job Outlook in Oklahoma
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the social work field is poised to grow 12% by 2024. Breaking that information down into professions, there will be a need for more than 300,000 child family and school social workers, 190,000 health care social workers, more than 130,000 substance abuse and mental health social workers and more than 65,000 social work jobs in miscellaneous fields. An MSW salary can range between $40,000-$70,000 depending on the practice as well as the individual’s work experience. The standard average salary for Oklahoma social workers is approximately $35,000 per year.
When you delve deep into social work employment in Oklahoma, you’ll see the following jobs frequently:
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker - General Practice
- Director of Outpatient Services
- Family Preservation Social Worker
- Therapist - Child and Family Services
Alternatives to Traditional Social Work Careers
Oklahoma MSW graduates can pursue a variety of careers that have a social services focus. These Jobs include:
- Community program/service managers/directors
- Collegiate, postsecondary instructors
- Public Health Administration
- Attorney with a Social Justice Focus
- Human Resources Consultant
- Corporate Training/Coaching
Popular areas for Oklahoma MSW careers include Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Norman, and Broken Arrow.