Online MSW Program for Montana Residents
Florida State University is located in Tallahassee, Florida, but its online degree programs are available in states across the country including Montana. Florida State University master’s online program offers a clinically focused online Master of Social Work degree. The program was ranked one of the best in the nation by U.S. News and World Report.
Earn an MSW that prepares you for the future licensure and MSW jobs in Montana. Whether you have a baccalaureate in social work or are coming to the field with a degree in another concentration, FSU’s online program has a distinct curriculum focused on creating an engaging and supportive learning environment.
About FSU's Online MSW Program
- You can take and complete courses as your schedule allows
- You’ll be joining an interactive virtual learning community through Blackboard, and gaining support from a Student Success Advisor throughout the entire program
- You will interact with the College of Social Work’s Office of Professional Development
- Gain in the field experience with innovative field placements
Two Programs Available
The online Master of Social Work offers two programs for students:
- An Advanced Standing program is available for students who have completed a bachelor’s of social work from a Council on Social Work Education-accredited program.
- A Traditional program is available for students who have a bachelor’s degree in a separate concentration from social work. Both programs are clinically focused and offer field placements that may align with students’ interests.
Courses are 16 weeks; summer may have 12- or 13-week courses, depending on the year. The average time to completion is two years for Advanced Standing Program and three years for Traditional Program
Our Online MSW Admissions Requirements
Traditional program students must meet these requirements for admission:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and be in good standing with the institution
- A College of Social Work application, along with a personal statement and four letters of recommendation (two personal, two academic)
- A transcript with all undergraduate and graduate courses, including a professional resume
- A 3.0 GPA or better on everything past the first 60 hours of undergraduate courses (this is an upper-division GPA) or a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
Advanced Standing program students must meet these requirements for admission:
- Complete all general application requirements
- Earn a BSW from a CSWE-accredited institution
- Submit a copy of a BSW internship evaluation or letter of recommendation from the field office
- Have a minimum of 400 hours of field education in generalist practice
The Florida State University Office of Admissions will receive GRE scores from the Educational Testing Service; FSU’s code is 5219.
If the applicant is earning his or her bachelor’s degree and applying for graduate school, he or she must send a second official transcript with the degree posted.
For full admission details, visit this page.
Why Choose FSU?
Florida State University’s online Master of Social Work program allows busy professionals to balance their professional life with their education goals. When you choose a Florida State University online master’s program, you’re earning a well-respected degree. In addition, as a CSWE-accredited online program, graduates may meet the qualifications of Montana clinical social worker license.
To be licensed as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker in Montana you must fulfil the following requirements:
A. Pay Licensing Fees:
- Application Fee: $200.00
- Fingerprint & Background checks: $27.25 paid to the Department of Justice
- Examination Fee: set and paid to the examination service
B. Meet Education Requirements:
- Masters of Social Work or Doctor of Social Work degree from a college or university accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
C. Meet Experience Requirements: 3,000 hours of supervised, post-degree, psychotherapy work done in not less than 24 months. Supervisors must hold a valid state license as a social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist. 1,500 hours must be spent on the direct contact with clients.
D. Examination Information: Montana accepts test scores from the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) examinations: Advanced and Clinical.
E. Undergo Fingerprint-Background Check: Social work licensure applicants must complete a background check through submission of fingerprints to the Department of Justice, Montana Criminal Records prior to being licensed. The background check information is included in the licensure application pages 5-6. The Department of Justice is experiencing a high volume of requests which may lead to delayed processing.
Licensure applications will not be considered complete until the information is received and processed by the Board Office. The results of the background check are sent directly to the Board office by the Montana Department of Justice. Applicants shall be notified by the Board staff of receipt of documentation from the Department of Justice only if qualifying events exist on the report.
What Does the Job Market Look Like?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the social work field is poised to grow 12% by 2024. Breaking that information down into professions, there will be a need for more than 300,000 child family and school social workers, 190,000 health care social workers, more than 130,000 substance abuse and mental health social workers and more than 65,000 social work jobs in miscellaneous fields. An MSW salary can range between $40,000-$70,000 depending on the practice as well as the individual’s work experience. The standard average salary for Montana social workers is approximately $35,000 per year.
When you delve deep into social work employment in Montana, you’ll see the following jobs most frequently:
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker - General Practice
- Veterans Affairs Clinical Staff
- School Social Worker
- Department of Housing and Urban Development Staff
Alternatives to Traditional Social Work Careers
Montana MSW graduates can pursue a variety of careers that have a social services focus. These Jobs include:
- Community program/service managers/directors
- Collegiate, postsecondary instructors
- Public Health Administration
- Attorney with a Social Justice Focus
- Human Resources Consultant
- Corporate Training/Coaching
Popular areas for Montana MSW careers include Missoula, Billings, Bozeman, and Helena.