Alabama State LCSW Requirements
To become a licensed clinical social worker in Alabama, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Must be at least 19 years of age
- Must be a United States citizen or, if not a citizen of the United States, you must be legally present in the United States with appropriate documentation from the federal government
- Must ascribe to a professional code of ethics developed and adopted by the board. (Administrative Code 850-X-9 Standards of Professional Conduct & Ethics)
- Has a Master of Social Work from a college or university approved, accredited, or in candidacy granted by the Council on Social Work Education.
- Have 24 months of LCSW-supervised social work experience and have a current active license at the master's level if applying as a candidate for the examination.
- Before licensure can be granted in Alabama, passage of the Association of Social Work Boards Examination for the level in which applying is required.
Requirements for licensure may chance so be sure to frequently check Alabama’s state requirements to ensure you are the correct path to licensure.
How Does an Online MSW Degree From FSU Make a Difference?
Florida State University’s online Master of Social Work program allows busy professionals to balance their professional life with their education goals. Florida State University’s online master of social work program is a CSWE-accredited online MSW program and may help graduates meet the qualifications of Alabama’s clinical social worker license.
Florida State University’s online Master of Social Work program allows busy professionals to balance their professional life with their educational goals. In addition, FSU’s online social work program gives students options regardless of their undergraduate background. An Advanced Standing program is available for students who have completed a bachelor’s of social work from a Council on Social Work Education-accredited program. A Traditional program is available for students who have a bachelor’s degree in a separate concentration from social work. Both programs are clinically focused and offer field placements.
Alabama Social Work Reciprocity
Alabama also offers reciprocity for licensures gained in different states, the requirements are:
- The license in the state you are currently in is in good standing and active.
- You must have a master’s degree from a CSWE-accredited school.
- You must have passed the ASWB (Association of Social Work Boards) national examination for the level in which you are requesting.
Once again, be sure to check with the state requirements to ensure you are following the most up to date.
Nationally Recognized Online MSW
Florida State University’s College of Social Work is well-respected and nationally recognized. FSU’s online MSW program is ranked as the top MSW program in Florida by U.S. News & World Report. TheBestSchools.org ranked FSU’s MSW program in their Top 5 online MSW programs. Kiplinger’s Personal Finance ranked Florida State University as one of the, “Best Values in Public Colleges,” and FSU ranked in the Top 40, “Best Graduate Schools” by U.S. News and World Report. Learn more about the difference an FSU MSW makes here.