Online MSW Program in Florida
Florida State University is located in Tallahassee, Florida, but its online degree programs are available in states across the country. Florida State University’s online masters program offers a clinically focused online Master of Social Work degree. The program was ranked one of the best in the nation by U.S. News and World Report.
Consider earning an online MSW in Florida that prepares you for future licensure and MSW jobs in Florida. Whether you have a baccalaureate in social work or are coming to the field with a degree in another concentration, FSU’s online program has a distinct curriculum focused on creating an engaging and supportive learning environment.
About Our Online MSW Program
- Taking courses asynchronously or completing them as your schedule allows.
- Joining an interactive virtual learning community through Blackboard, and gaining support from a Student Success Advisor throughout the entire program.
- Interacting with the College of Social Work’s Office of Professional Development.
- Gain in the field experience with innovative field placements.
Two Programs Available
The online Master of Social Work offers two programs for students. An Advanced Standing program is available for students who have completed a bachelor’s of social work from a Council on Social Work Education-accredited program. A Traditional program is available for students who have a bachelor’s degree in a separate concentration from social work. Both programs are clinically focused and offer field placements that may align with students’ interests.
- Courses are 16 weeks; summer may have 12- or 13-week courses, depending on the year
- Average time to completion is two years for Advanced Standing Program and three years for Traditional Program
Our Online MSW Admissions Requirements
Traditional program students must meet these requirements for admission:
- Complete a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and be in good standing with the institution
- Complete a College of Social Work application and submit a personal statement and four letters of recommendation (two personal, two academic)
- Submit a transcript with all undergraduate and graduate courses and include a professional resume
- Earn a 3.0 GPA or better on everything past the first 60 hours of undergraduate courses (this is an upper-division GPA) or you must have earned a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
Advanced Standing program students must meet these requirements for admission:
- Complete all general application requirements
- Earn a BSW from a CSWE-accredited institution
- Submit a copy of a BSW internship evaluation or letter of recommendation from the field office
- Have a minimum of 400 hours of field education in generalist practice
The Florida State University Office of Admissions will receive GRE scores from the Educational Testing Service; FSU’s code is 5219.
If the applicant is earning his or her bachelor’s degree and applying for graduate school, he or she must send a second official transcript with the degree posted.
For full admission details, visit this page.
Why Choose FSU?
Florida State University’s online Master of Social Work program allows busy professionals to balance their professional life with their education goals. When you choose a Florida State University online master’s program, you’re earning a well-respected degree from an in-state institution. In addition, as a CSWE-accredited online program, graduates meet the qualifications of Florida’s clinical social worker license.How Do I Become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker?
Please be sure to check the latest state licensure information here.
To be licensed as a Clinical Social Worker in Florida you must have:
- A master’s degree in social work from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited school of social work
- Completed 24 semester hours or 32 quarter hours in theory of human behavior and practice methods as courses in clinically oriented services, including a minimum of one course in psychopathology. Courses not considered to be clinically oriented are: policy, administration, organization and communities
- A supervised field placement that was part of the applicant’s master’s program, during which the applicant provided clinical services directly to clients
- Two (2) years of post-master’s supervised experience under the supervision of a licensed clinical social worker. The supervision experience must have consisted of at least 1,500 hours providing psychotherapy face-to-face with clients for the profession for which licensure is sought, and shall be accrued in no less than 100 weeks. At least 100 hours of supervision per 1,500 hours of psychotherapy face-to-face with clients provided by the intern; At least one (1) hour of supervision every two (2) weeks; at least one (1) hour of supervision per fifteen (15) hours of psychotherapy, with a minimum of one (1) hour of supervision every two (2) weeks. If the applicant obtained group supervision, each hour of group supervision must alternate with an hour of individual supervision. Individual supervision is defined as one supervisor supervising no more than two (2) interns and group supervision is defined as one supervisor supervising more than two (2) but a maximum of six (6) interns in the group
- Passed the national clinical level examination developed by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB)
- Completed an eight-hour laws and rules course from a board approved provider
- Completed a three hour HIV/AIDS course and two hour domestic violence course from a board approved provider within six months of licensure
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the social work field is poised to grow 12% by 2024. Breaking that information down into professions, there will be more than 300,000 child family and school social workers.Health care social workers in 2024 will number more than 190,000. There will be more than 130,000 substance abuse and mental health social workers and more than 65,000 social work jobs is miscellaneous fields. An MSW salary can range between $40,000-$70,000 depending on the practice as well an individual’s work experience.The standard average for Florida social workers is approximately $50,000 per year.
When you delve deep into social work employment in Florida, you’ll see the following jobs most frequently:
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker - General Practice
- Hospice Social Worker
- Clinical Therapist
Florida MSW graduates can pursue a variety of careers that have a social services focus. These Jobs include:
- Community program/service managers/directors
- Human Resources Consultant
- Corporate Training/Coaching
Popular areas for Florida MSW careers include: Tallahassee, Miami, Orlando, and Jacksonville.